Strike King pro team member Keith Combs could probably care less as he sits atop the day one leaderboard with a haul weighing 3 ounces shy of 35 pounds. Falcon of old or not, that’s still a monster weight for a 5 fish limit and one that anywhere else on earth would be a respectable two-day weight. With potentially 3 days left in this derby, Combs is in the catbird seat.
Four places and six pounds separate Combs from his nearest Strike King teammate Jonathan VanDam. The youngest VanDam fishing the Elite Series sacked a 5 fish limit that weighed 28 lbs. 12 oz. Once again, a mega-stringer of fish but at Falcon today, that leaves you in 5th.
The rest of the Strike King pro team faired as follows:
- Greg Hackney – 13th – 25-15
- Todd Faircloth – 22nd – 23-11
- Shaw Grigsby – 25th – 23-2
- Kevin VanDam – 34th – 21-9
- Dennis Tietje – 38th – 20-10
- Chris Zaldain – 42nd – 20-4
- James Niggemeyer – 47th – 19-2
- Andy Montgomery – 76th – 13-0
- Mark Davis – 78th – 12-12
With day 2 on the horizon, there is still a lot of fishing time left and each angler knows very well that a couple of the right bites from the Mexico border giants that swim in Falcon can quickly turn the tide. Stay tuned for more updates as we follow the Strike King pro team throughout the Elite Series season!